If your community includes a person living with dementia as well as children (they may be grandchildren, neighbours or friends) you might like to consider some of these well-loved children’s book titles as gifts for this festive season.
The books were designed to create awareness and understanding among children of changes that can occur as a result of dementia and memory loss. Even if you don’t have a family or friend living with dementia, these books will stimulate rewarding conversations with children and provide important learning.
- Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge By Mem Fox. Illustrated by Julie Vivas.
- When I See Grandma by Deborah Tindall.
- Grandad’s Island by Benji Davies.
- Grandma Forgets by Paul Russell and Nicky Johnston.
- Celia and Nonna by Victoria Lane and Kayleen West.
- One Photo by Ross Watkins and Liz Anelli.
- Dancing with Memories by Sally Yule, with Professor Ralph Martins and Maggie Beer. Illustrated by Cheryl Orsini.
- Really and Truly By Émilie Rivard and Anne-Claire Delisle.