Scroll Down Scroll Up
transport options

3.7 Transport options for people with dementia

If you can no longer drive, there are Government programs that provide taxi subsidies and community transport options

​Taxi subsidies

There are government programs which provide taxi subsidies for people who cannot drive or take public transport due to a medical condition or disability. You might be eligible for these programs in your state or territory. You’ll need your doctor to complete an assessment of your ability or disability as part of the application process, which differs slightly by state/territory. Some schemes will subsidise the cost of ride-sharing services such as Uber, others do not.

If you are not eligible for any of the above subsidies but have either an NDIS or Home Care package through My Aged Care, you may be able to obtain vouchers or a Cabcharge card from your Service Provider; the cost is then taken from your package.

​Community Transport

Community transport will take you either by car or small bus to medical appointments, social meetings, exercise, and to do your shopping. Community transport is for people who are unable to drive or take public transport without help. Federal and State governments fund community transport. Community transport is part of the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) (see 5.3 Plan to use services).

Find and get in touch with a provider local to you. They will tell you whether you are eligible, how to apply and what you might need to pay as a contribution to the cost.

Below is information by state on finding a local service:


Apply for transport services

If you’ve stopped driving, apply for the taxi subsidy or community transport services.