Scroll Down Scroll Up
transport options

3.11 Transport alternatives

Tax subsidies, community transport and other strategies when the person you support stops driving

If you do not drive yourself, family, friends and neighbours are often available to give lifts. Some people like to offer to pay for the petrol if they are a passenger to feel like they are contributing. Other strategies to help when giving up driving:

  • Consider changing services like hairdresser, pharmacy or exercise classes so they are easier to get to without driving. If possible, go to one place that offers many services, so only one trip is needed.
  • Try and use the same taxi or Uber driver. Having a familiar driver can make getting around easier. If there is a particular driver you like, ask for their number so you can book them again.
  • If your person uses a smartphone, set up a ride sharing app such as Uber or Shebah (which has women drivers and only takes female passengers). This makes it easy to call a driver when you are home or out.
  • If you or your person has not used public transport in a while, consider taking some practice trips. You can work out the most convenient routes and point out landmarks along the way.

Taxi subsidies

Government programs provide taxi subsidies for people who cannot drive or take public transport due to a medical condition or disability. People with dementia may be eligible for these programs in your state or territory. Your person will need their doctor to complete an assessment which differs slightly by state/territory. Some schemes will subsidise the cost of ride-sharing services such as Uber, others do not. Check your state or territory in the list below for a taxi subsidy service:

Community Transport

Community transport can take you by car or small bus to medical appointments, social activities, exercise, and to do your shopping. Community transport is for people who are unable to drive or take public transport without help. Federal and State governments fund community transport. Community transport is part of the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) (see 5.5 Types of Services).

Use the links below to find a community transport provider in your locality. They will tell you whether your person is eligible, how to apply and what your person might need to pay as a contribution to the cost.


For when your person stops driving

  • Choose the best transport alternative with and for your person, and put into practice.
  • Apply for the taxi subsidy or community transport services, if eligible.